Raku Firing Workshop | 11am-5pm | Torquay VIC
There is nothing like the alchemy and excitement experienced during a raku firing. Raku firing is a process where work is removed from the kiln while red hot and subjected to reduction by being placed in closed containers of combustible materials. This blackens raw clay and causes crazing in the glaze surface. The results are organic, unpredictable and pure magic!
Join us at the Takeawei studio in Torquay for a special day of raku firing under the guidance of experienced local potter and sculptor Andrew Allen.
Get ready for a fun filled day of intense, hands on firing. This 6 hour class will run from 11am to 5pm and include a vegetarian lunch, beverages and afternoon tea provided by the studio. While we’re waiting for kilns to fire there will be plenty of time to eat, socialise and discuss all things pottery.
All skill levels are welcome. Students are encouraged to bring two bisque pieces for the firing or there will be a selection of bisque forms available for purchase if you do not have your own (prices for blank bisque ware will be be between $5-$20 and range from small vessels to larger vase shapes etc.)
This is a rare opportunity to experience a raku firing on the beautiful surrounds of the Takeawei Studio at Ashmore Arts. We hope to see you there.
Date: Sunday, 11 November
Time: 11am to 5pm (lunch break 1pm, afternoon tea 3.30pm approx.)
Address: 55B Ashmore Road, Torquay 3228 VIC
Cost: $200 per person
Instructor: Andrew Allen
What will I learn?
- Raku firing process from start to finish
What is included?
- 6 hour workshop with vegetarian lunch and afternoon tea provided
- 2 glazes and firing of your pieces
- Firing of two pieces maximum size: 140mm wide x 260mm high they can be smaller than this but bigger will not fit in the combustible containers.
What should I bring?
- Wear comfortable clothes in natural fibres like wool and cotton and enclosed shoes. Please no synthetic materials (for fire safety)
- 2 bisque pieces, they can be earthenware or stoneware for raku firing (no porcelain as it cracks easily)
Refunds & Cancellations
Please choose carefully. Due to limited class sizes once you've booked and paid we can only issue a refund if the workshop is cancelled. If you are unable to attend for any reason you may send a friend in your place. There are strictly no credits issued for classes that cannot be attended by the student. Your purchase is acceptance of these terms.
Have questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org for answers